Which software pieces do you need for fast and qualitative development of Magento modules?
- PhpStorm: the state-of-the-art IDE for PHP
- Magicento: the plugin that makes PhpStorm incredible useful for Magento by providing auto-completion, automatically generating module structure and many more features.
- PhpCodesniffer in combination with Magento ECG Coding Standards
- Php Mess Detector: easily find duplicate code contents before someone other will find it
- Xdebug with code coverage: run directly in PhpStorm you will get visual feedback about your code coverage
- the Vagrant box with Magento + APC + xhprof
- modman: this tools was created by one of the Magento gurus to help maintaining magento modules in different installations – very helpful for testing in different PHP/Magento/.. versions
- n98-magerun: every Magento developer always has to do some repeating stuff like cache-flush, resetting admin password, install specific version with sample data, etc.; this tool is absolutely unbeatable in these things.
- a MacBook Pro 😉